Thoughts on The Vampire Lestat
Aug. 3rd, 2026 08:05 pmSo, I managed to get through season 3 of Interview with the Vampire aka The Vampire Lestat.
SPOILER ALERT
I really don't know what they wanted to accomplish with that. Most of the time I had no clue what was going on and who all those people were. I've read the book ages ago, so my memory of that wasn't any help. Maybe I should read it again or try the German dubbed version. I found the dialogue was often difficult to understand because the underlying music was too loud. I constantly had to adapt the volume with my remote because I didn't want to disturb my neighbours.
Maybe watching frame by frame would yield more details. I'm aware they wanted to show Lestat's perspective who was high on drug-laced blood, particularly in the first episodes. But the result was just painful to watch. I had the impression they put too much emphasis on the songs (most of which were really good) and didn't care about the rest.
The first two seasons were full of atmosphere, this season was completely ripped of that.
I would have spared myself the rest of the season if the main character wasn't so damn good to look at. The acting was good - no complaints there. It's the writing and the execution that was at fault.
In the previous seasons, the character of Daniel Malloy (the interviewer) was one of my favourites. This season, he was simply plain annoying.
Overall, this season felt like a waste of potential. It could have been so much better if they had stuck with the atmosphere of the previous seasons.
There were two FK-related instances, which made me smile though: One episode was set in Toronto. And Lestat hovering above the stage reminded me very much of Nick's gig with the Greatful Dead.
Did anyone else watch it?
SPOILER ALERT
I really don't know what they wanted to accomplish with that. Most of the time I had no clue what was going on and who all those people were. I've read the book ages ago, so my memory of that wasn't any help. Maybe I should read it again or try the German dubbed version. I found the dialogue was often difficult to understand because the underlying music was too loud. I constantly had to adapt the volume with my remote because I didn't want to disturb my neighbours.
Maybe watching frame by frame would yield more details. I'm aware they wanted to show Lestat's perspective who was high on drug-laced blood, particularly in the first episodes. But the result was just painful to watch. I had the impression they put too much emphasis on the songs (most of which were really good) and didn't care about the rest.
The first two seasons were full of atmosphere, this season was completely ripped of that.
I would have spared myself the rest of the season if the main character wasn't so damn good to look at. The acting was good - no complaints there. It's the writing and the execution that was at fault.
In the previous seasons, the character of Daniel Malloy (the interviewer) was one of my favourites. This season, he was simply plain annoying.
Overall, this season felt like a waste of potential. It could have been so much better if they had stuck with the atmosphere of the previous seasons.
There were two FK-related instances, which made me smile though: One episode was set in Toronto. And Lestat hovering above the stage reminded me very much of Nick's gig with the Greatful Dead.
Did anyone else watch it?
no subject
Date: 2026-08-05 10:39 am (UTC)I've only seen the first Season yet. Still waiting for the rest to be somewhere I can watch it (because - NO, no more streaming subscriptions!). I've only seen the trailer for S3 and it sounded like... I don't know; some kind of wild mix between the original plot and a comedy reality trash-tv relationship feud or whatever. I haven't read your entire description, cause I didn't want to spoiler myself. Will have a look at it at some point (and S2).
(And seriously; why in the 9 circles of hell can't they keep the effin' volume at a consistent level?! I HATE that so much. I have a problem with auditory processing and that's why i mostly choose to watch things dubbed, because the voices come out more clearly. )
no subject
Date: 2026-08-05 03:18 pm (UTC)Daniel seemed more in control of the narrative the first two seasons. The show lost the thread of the interview format, which was too bad because it was soooo effective in seasons 1 and 2. Instead, we kind of bounce around between characters, which didn't really work for me.
Lestat's backstory felt way too rushed.
I didn't think I could hate Armand more than I did already, but that little bitch is on my shit list. I love to hate him so much.
Anyway, overall I enjoyed it, but it was much, much weaker than seasons 1 and 2.